- Arduino software installation and setup
- Driver installation
- Firmware selection
- COM port identification
- Final preparation and flashing firmware
- Troubleshooting and common errors
- Downloads and attachments
1. Supplies needed
- Computer with internet connection, USB port, and ability to install software
- USB cable (provided with printer)
2. Installing the Arduino software
Download the Arduino software ( link
Click "Windows Installer."
Choose "Just Download," (unless you feel like donating) to download the installer.
Launch the installer, agree to the license, and follow all prompts to install the Arduino program.
Once the Arduino program is installed, start it, then select "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560" from the Tools > Board menu.
Open up Boards Manager (Tools > Board > Boards Manager...), click on Arduino AVR Boards, select version 1.6.9 from the dropdown menu, then click Install.
Arduino setup is now complete, close the Arduino program.
Download the attached Taurino-DriverSetup.zip file, unzip and follow all prompts to install.
Driver installation is now complete
There are several different versions of the firmware downloads below, use the following guide to identify which firmware to download. Downloads are attached to the end of this solution: Downloads and attachments
Identify the base model
- For a WorkBench machine, select the firmware starting with WB.
- For a X1000 machine, you will use firmware starting with X1000
Identify the motor type
- For a machine using Stepper motors, you will use X1000nonservo firmware
- For a machine using Step-Servo (SurePrint), you will use X1000servo firmware
Identify the number of extruders
- For the majority of machines with two extruders, use DUAL firmware.
- For a single extruder machine, use SINGLE firmware.
Example: For a X1000 model with Sureprint Servos and dual extruders, the X1000servoDUALd.zip firmware file should be downloaded.
Once you have the proper firmware downloaded, unzip the file and locate the .ino file. This file is marked by a blue icon and will match the name of the firmware, example: X1000servoDUALd1.0.3.ino
Double click the file to launch the Arduino program.
Firmware download is now complete.
5. COM port identification
Plug in the printer to your PC using the USB port. Only plug in to update firmware if the machine is idle. Never plug in the USB cable during an job, as connecting to the PC will cancel the active print. It may take a few seconds after plugging in for the PC to identify the printer and enable communication.
Open up Device Manager on your PC. This can be found from the Control Panel, or with the keyboard shortcut Win+X on some systems.
Double click on "Ports (COM & LPT)". This will display all the serial devices connected to your PC. Look for one of the following items to identify the printer:
- USB Serial Device
- Arduino Mega 2560
- RUMBA Taurino 2560
Note the COM port number (COM16 in this case) listed next to the device. This will be necessary for the next step.
6. Final preparation and flashing
Return to the Arduino window, and select the port number identified in step 5 (Tools > Port)
Click the right facing Upload arrow.
Firmware will compile and flash to the printer, this process may take up to a minute or two. When successfully finished, a "Done Uploading" message will appear near the bottom of the Arduino program.
Firmware flashing is now complete
7. Troubleshooting and common errors
There are a few different errors you may run into while flashing firmware, here are the most common:
- If the PC does not identify printer, ensure Arduino and drivers are installed, then restart both the PC and the printer.
- Error while when flashing: "using typedef-name 'fpos_t' after 'struct'. This error indicates the wrong Arduino AVR boards version has been selected in section 2. Return to Boards Manager and select 1.6.9
- Error when compiling: "Access Denied". This error indicates that another program is connected to the printer. Close any other programs such as Simplify3D which may be connected to the printer.
If you are having difficulty flashing firmware after following these steps, please open a support ticket for additional assistance.